"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed - doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.
But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps - who works in a foreign land - will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace." - JFK

Monday, October 21, 2013

Random Days

Most days if you asked me what I was doing down here I would happily have a plethora of answers for you.  Usually on Mondays I hop a ride 6km down the main dirt road to another small town where I help out their substitute English teacher (who has fantastic English by the way).  Tuesdays & Thursdays are spent in my site at the escuela coplanning & tryinggggg to coteach lessons.  Tuesday & Wednesday nights I teach a community English class in my site that I love.  Sprinkle in there some regional conversation clubs and planning for JumpStart in January and wah-la, I’m usually pretty busy and loving it.


But.  Then there are days like today.  I woke up at 5:30am because the teacher said she was going to pass through my town around 6:15am.  6:10am rolls around and I get a text that we’re actually going with a different teacher at 6:50am.  Now, I already don’t do mornings well, so I was up far too early to just be sitting around.  But anyway, we finally make our way to school and since the teacher is just temporary for a few more weeks, I’m not trying to do the whole coplan / coteach thing…I basically just show up and help out anyway I can.  Well today that involved occupying the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd graders while the 4th, 5th, & 6th graders took their English test.  When asked what they wanted me to do, the answer was Jenga.  Yes, Jenga.  So I took them outside & we played Jenga.  Obviously after an hour we got bored of that & the workaholic in me decided to make them study for their test.  So we sat outside in some shade in the dirt and I asked them questions that I thought would be on their test and surprise surprise, they knew nothing.  But quickly it was their turn for the test as I watched over the older kids play kickball (well, they hit a ball with their hand and there are about 5 bases, but kickball is the closest thing I can think of to compare it to).  I just kept begging them to be quieter, but apparently I’m the only person who thinks a test should be taken in silence, so apparently all the screaming wasn’t a big deal.

Perhaps one of the biggest skills Peace Corps is teaching me is to let go, be patient, and go with the flow.  Sometimes, days like today infuriate me and make me question what the heck I’m doing down here.  But more often than not, I’m just trying to learn how to do what I can where I can and if that means spending my day playing Jenga, then I guess I’ll be playing Jenga.

No comments:

Post a Comment