"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed - doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.
But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps - who works in a foreign land - will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace." - JFK

Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Walk Around Site


As I’m sure you can imagine, a week at the resort with Mom had little in common with a normal week.  For example, today it’s a bit cloudy so hope of doing laundry was lost. (One needs sunlight for clothes to dry down here as a reminder.)   So I woke up and did some yoga (I’m trying to be more zen these days…) which is always slightly difficult with the 3 dogs surrounding me.  After a cold shower and some breakfast, I headed out to take pictures of my community for a presentation I have to give at IST next week.  I certainly felt a bit odd taking pictures but I finally felt comfortable enough that no one would steal my thousand dollar camera and enough people know who I am that it wasn’t like I was a stranger coming into their community to take pictures for who knows what reason.  After yet another shower because I was once again covered in sweat, I relaxed and watched some NCIS that happened to be on tv. There is a fantastic channel that plays NCIS, all the CSIs, Covert Affairs, Criminal Minds, and Law & Order all day long in English with Spanish subtitles.  So I enjoyed that for about 2 hours, chatted with Mom a bit on the phone, and then the host fam came back from their errands in Santa Cruz so I hoarded back up in my room.  Hmm…how did I pass the time?  I swept & mopped my floor, cleaned the top of my “dresser” to get all the gecko crap off everything, wrote 2 letters to friends back home, read a bit, and have on and off been typing this.  I’ve also exchanged some texts with PCV friends including the trainwreck of a soccer tournament one is at and following up with a friend who got stung by an unknown sea creature and is currently at a clinic.  I talked to friends back in the states over Whatsapp and can certainly say I wish I was with you guys in AC this weekend!  It finally rained so it’s a bit cooler at the moment than the normal intolerable heat so I’m finishing this up outside on my rocking chair as the dogs run around playing and my host fam sits next to me discussing nothing at all and probably wondering what the heck I’m doing on my fancy computer.

Mi Casa 



There are 2 roads in town, the horribly paved one on the left & the dirt one on the right.

Our run down playgroud that I'd love to fix up one day... 









Mi Escuela :)



No comments:

Post a Comment