"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed - doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.
But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps - who works in a foreign land - will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace." - JFK

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Site Visit

       As I sat around the kitchen bar this morning surrounded by 6 other family members rapidly speaking Spanish as they ate their gallo pinto and I ate my piece of bread with still unknown mystery meat on it, it hit me how much my life has changed in such a short amount of time.  No longer do I sit at breakfast getting a headache from trying to catch a word I know in Spanish here and there or sit there wondering how much longer I need to keep sitting there before escaping to my room after being overwhelmed by being surrounded by so many people (I am an only-child after all).  This morning, however, I relished being surrounded by a family I have come to love and was even excited that my oldest sister and her husband also temporarily moved back in with the family (though for unfortunate reasons, she broke both of her ankles in a fall down the stairs).  I no longer simply sit and observe the conversation, but am a part of it, joking with them as I mas o menos follow along.  I was so, so happy to be back…so, perhaps I should once again start from the beginning as to why I was so happy to return to Hereidia last night…

Naty and I with my amazing host Mom after our last community class about cooking

       On Monday we all headed to Tres Rios (where we were during that original orientation week) to meet our counterparts at a project partner workshop.  Our counterparts are the people we will be primarily working with during our service, so because our project is TEFL, our counterparts are all Costa Rican English teachers.  Most of them had to travel quite a distance to get to San Jose, but I think it’s a great way for them to learn more about the Peace Corps and what our role in site is supposed to be.  My counterpart’s name is Liz and her English is actually quite good.  She’s extremely nervous and timid, so it was often like pulling teeth at times to talk to her and she certainly seemed to have no idea what Peace Corps was that first day, but after the workshop and a 4 hour bus ride together to my site in Guanacaste, I think we started bonding…  So yes, after the workshop all us PCTs headed to our sites with our counterparts so they could show us how to get there.  We arrived in Santa Cruz where I was met by the principal of my escuela in a taxi who drove me and all my luggage to my new host family.

       The new fam consists of only a couple roughly in their early 50s who have never had kids…. they, well, ok let’s start with the positives…

       My escuela!!  I arrived on Thursday morning and the principal told me they wanted to have an assembly with all of the school to introduce me.  Sounded great so at 7am we organized in a classroom and I began counting the students…all 24 of them.  Granted it was only the morning cycle so perhapsssss there are double that amount in reality, but still, it’s muy pequena and exactly what I wanted.  There are only 2 rooms, so the students sometimes take their desks outside and divide up the classes that way.  Most of the grades are 5-8 students and they seem much more behaved than other Costa Rican classes I have observed.  There are 2 English teachers who work at the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and upon my arrival I noticed one of them wearing a polo that said “Englih’s Teacher”.  I certainly have my work cut out for me.  BUT, the whole school was so excited to have me there and were all super friendly. I attended a meeting with parents afterwards and introduced myself (a warning that I was going to have to do this in Spanish might have been nice…) and the students made me welcome cards…all in all I couldn’t have been welcomed with more open arms.  Granted if the teachers are only there on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing the other 3 days of the week, but that’s a problem for another day…

Mi escuela :)

The whole 1st grade

       The new host fam.  The new fam is, interesting.  They are super sweet and are very excited to have me be a part of their family, but perhaps a bit too sweet.  In the grand scheme of things there could be far worse situations, but, it quickly became overwhelming.  Hmm, some highlights:
  • I was on my way out the door to go for a run when the host mom said no.  It’s too dangerous.  So I said, oh, ok, no problem.  It’s dangerous now because I don’t know the area and the people, right?  But in the future it’ll be fine, right?  Answer: no, you’re not allowed out of the house alone.  Ever.
  • EVERY night I sat on the couch/bed thing in the living room and they would bring 2 chairs to face me and we would talk.  All night.  I DON’T SPEAK SPANISH! By hour 3 every night I had a pounding headache.  I would also be called out if I responded to a text during this time.  So my apologies for all the unresponded to texts while I was away...
  • I stayed up late one night texting and since the walls don’t go to the ceiling they can clearly see when my light is on or not so the next morning I was asked exactly what I was doing so late.  I said, oh, just reading.  Then I got a lecture how I need to get plenty of sleep.
  • I was TOLD that I HAD to get up at 6am to do my laundry.  Now, I am not one to do well with being TOLD to do something as my real mother will attest to.  I simply said I didn’t have much laundry and I would just do it when I returned in 2 weeks.  Nope, not allowed.  I’m still unsure why it had to be done at 6am, but I did it.  I guarantee it’s not happening again.
  • Alright, now I fully understand my Spanish isn’t good, but it’s a heck of a lot better than 3 months ago and I can often understand at least the gist of most conversations.  These people KEPT saying “entiende?” (understand?)  I would say, si, they would then say, well then what did we say?  I cannot even begin to explain how annoying that was after the 20th time it happened…
So, I shall be having PC call these lovely folks and hopefully explain to them that I am an adult who is able to leave the house…  I think it’ll just take some time for us to get used to each other and I’m hopeful that in the end it’ll all work out.  Either way, it’s only for 6 months and then I can live on my own!

The new digs


       But more than anything, site visit was a reminder about what Peace Corps service is all about.  Throughout training, we’ve all been concerned about our lives with our host families, about our Spanish skills, about how we’re all coping with being away from home…about numerous other things that have all revolved around us.  But after arriving in site and arriving at the school, I finally met all of the people of my community who have apparently been anxiously awaiting my arrival.   This may be my service, but it’s about all of these people who I am hopefully able to help.  They all have big hopes for what I am going to be able to accomplish during my 2 years of service and I am now more confident than ever in my decision to be here and am excited for this next part of the adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment