"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed - doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.
But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps - who works in a foreign land - will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace." - JFK

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

So much Spanish

Monday, March 18, 2013 Well I had my first full day of Spanish class. The classes are actually at my house, so that makes my life super easy and there is actually only one other person in it, so a student:teacher ratio of 2:1 will hopefully get me speaking Spanish in no time. Class starts at 8 and by 7:45am my teacher was in my kitchen telling me in Spanish that I wasn’t appropriately dressed. My bad, I didn’t think Peace Corps business causal dress code was in effect when I was in a class with grand total 2 other people and in my own house? So anyway, I changed and begun a fun filled day of nothing but Spanish. We walked around neighborhood and I had to introduce myself to anyone we met on the street and describe Peace Corps to them…I think I got pretty good at it by the 10th person, but that’s about all I can say. Me llamo Brittany. Soy un aspirantee de voluntario de curpo de paz. El curpo de paz es un organication de gobierno de estados unidos ensenar los estudiantes y la professoras ingles por 2 anos. Gracias! It was also a fun reminder of how seriously PC takes the fact that we are NOT volunteers yet…we are only aspirantes. Someone from PC delivered our 8 books each and also desks, a white board, etc…so we are all set for 3 more months of classes. During these classes, I really need to learn how to say some foods. Last night, they kept asking me what I wanted to eat because the family was each eating their own thing, but I had no idea how to say anything and I wasn’t going to have them cook me something…so I had a dinner that consisted of a banana, a peach, and a pear. I don’t actually know the words for any of those either, but I knew how to say fruta. Oh, and I think im also doomed to eat bread for breakfast every day, because again, the first day they asked me what I normally eat for breakfast and all I could think of in Spanish was “pan.” So now they have fresh pan for me each morning. Could be worse! Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment